Related Information Management, Turtle Conservation and Research In Peninsular Malaysia
Department of Fisheries Malaysia have implemented management and conservation program since 1990 until now. 7 species of turtles that exist in the world, there are four species of sea turtles in Malaysia namely leatherback turtles (Leatherback Turtle), turtles (Green Turtle), Hawksbill (Hawksbill Turtle) and Ridley (Olive Ridley Turtle).
Turtles are enshrined in the state enactments and ordinances in which it is subject under the authority of the State. For states in Peninsular Malaysia, the State Governments have been handed the task of managing this turtle to the Fisheries Department. The following states have the turtles on the beaches of:-
- Terengganu ( leatherback turtle, turtles, Hawksbill and Olive Ridley)
- Pahang ( Turtle and the Hawksbill Turtle)
- Johor ( turtles, Hawksbill, Olive Ridley)
- Melaka ( hawksbill )
- Perak ( turtles )
- Pulau Pinang ( turtles)
- Sabah- state management under Sabah Parks )
Sarawak – under the management of the State Forest Department Sarawak
In Peninsular Malaysia, there are 6 Description Turtle Conservation Center and was developed by the Department of Fisheries to implement management and conservation of sea turtles:-
- Turtle Conservation and Information Centre in Rantau Abang, Terengganu
- Konservasai and Turtle Information Centre Ma'Daerah, Kerteh, Terengganu
- Turtle Conservation Center and Description Cherating, Pahang.
- Description Turtle Conservation Center and Padang Kamunting, Pangkalan Balak, Malacca
- Conservation Centre and Segari Turtle Description, Perak
Conservation Centre and description of Turtle Beach Kerachut, Pulau Pinang.
Provision obtained for the implementation of the program management and conservation is derived from the provisions of the Federal Government, State Government and also the contribution of the private sector and non-governmental organizations (NGOs).
Department of Fisheries Research Institute (FRI) Rantau Abang, Terengganu or formerly known as Turtle and Marine Ecosystem Centre (Tumec) conducting studies and research on turtles in Peninsular Malaysia. Studies and research undertaken and results are :-
- Labelling (Tagging) Turtles
- The study of turtles hatched Fitness In The Box Strofoam, Ex-Situ and In-Situ (Natural)
- Brightness Light Against Children Research Turtles.
- Installation of Satellite Telemetry On Mother Turtle That Lays.
- Study Use of Circle Hooks Hook For Fishing Hooks..
- Depth Study For The Turtle Nest Turtle Hatching Eggs.
- TED Effectiveness Study On Trawlers.
Global Warming Impact Studies On The population of hatchlings
In implementing the program, the management and conservation of sea turtles regularly and effectively the Department has provided guidelines and an action plan to be followed, namely :
- Turtle Management Standard Procedure (SOP)
- National Turtle Action Plan ( NPOA Sea Turtle )
Terms of Reference for government agencies / private / NGO / IPT is working closely with the Department of Fisheries in turtle conservation program in Peninsular Malaysia.
The department is preparing a turtle rules for standardization by all states in Peninsular Malaysia to replace / improvements to the enactment of amendments to the existing turtles.
A range of measures / programs have been carried out by the Department in dealing with threats to the turtles. Among them are :-
- Education and awareness programs turtle
- Dialogue with the target groups
- Enforcement at sea and sea turtle nesting beaches
- Studies and research
- And the cooperation of the other's involvement in turtle conservation.
Seminars / workshops / courses for the staff and the target group.
The involvement of Malaysia (Fisheries Department) relating to the management and conservation of sea turtles on a global scale is as follows:-
|NO.||Agreement name||Agreement Date|
|1.||MoU in Turtle Management and Conservation in the ASEAN Countries appointment as "Lead Agency"||1997|
|2.||Memorandum of Agreement Between The Government of Malaysia and The Republic Of The Philippines On The Established Of The Turtle Island Heritage Protected Area ( TIHPA )||1966|
|3.||MoU On The Conservation and Management of Marine Turtles and their Habitats of the Indian Ocean and South –East Asia||2011|
Kemaskini pada 2017-12-27 14:13:56 daripada Iszni