- To plan and formulate policies and strategies for the development of the national fisheries sector.
- Monitor and evaluate the implementation of policies and strategies for the development of the national fisheries sector so that it is in line with current government policies.
- Provide analysis of the performance and achievements of the fisheries sector.
- Monitor and evaluate the performance of the implementation of BOT plans and programs to diversify and increase the income of farmers and fishermen.
- Coordinate on all matters pertaining to the affairs of Parliament.
- To plan, formulate and implement techno/bio/socioeconomic research programs.
- To be the secretariat to the main meetings of the Department including joint meetings with other Departments/Agencies as well as annual conferences for Department officials.
- Provide feedback/input/notes of Cabinet meetings, Post Cabinet, MAFI Management, Head of Department and others.
- To plan and coordinate the preparation and formulation of the Department’s five (5) years plan development projects.
- Monitor and regulate the implementation of the Department’s development projects so that it is in line with the mission, vision and objectives of the Department.
- Coordinate and prepare annual budgets for the Department’s development projects.
- Carry out impact assessment programs on the Department’s development projects that have been implemented.
- Coordinate the process of acquisition and ownership as well as control the use of lands owned by the Department.
- Coordinate Audit inquiries.
- To be the secretariat of the Department Development Action Committee Meeting (JTPJP), Department Land Development and Monitoring Officer Meeting (MPPEM).
- Provide feedback/input for the Ministry Development Action Committee Meeting (JTPK), Underutilised Committee, JKPO and others.
- Merancang dan menyelaras program kerjasama antarabangsa supaya kepentingan negara terpelihara.
- Menyelaras dan memantau pelaksanaan konvensyen/perjanjian antarabangsa serta projek-projek di bawah kerangka kerjasama antarabangsa seperti ASEAN, SEAFDEC, FAO/UNDP, NACA, OIC, dan lain-lain .
- Urus setia kepada semua mesyuarat, persidangan dan seminar antarabangsa yang dianjurkan oleh jabatan.
- Menyelaras dan membuat penilaian ke atas permohonan insentif untuk sektor perikanan.
- To plan and coordinate international cooperation programs so that national interests are protected.
- Coordinate and monitor the implementation of international conventions/agreements as well as projects under the framework of international cooperation such as ASEAN, SEAFDEC, FAO/UNDP, NACA, OIC, and others.
- Secretariat to all international meetings, conferences and seminars organised by the department.
- Coordinate and evaluate incentive applications for the fisheries sector.
Fisheries Data Collection Branch
- To plan, design and develop fisheries data collection programs.
- Implement and supervise marine fish capture data collection programs, aquaculture, post-harvest and fisheries trade.
- Store, process and analyse fisheries data.
- Provide annual fisheries statistics report book.
- Advise the management of the Department on changes in the trend of fisheries data.
- Provide annual fisheries reports to relevant international bodies.
- Provide fisheries information to the industry.
Fisheries Economy Transformation Branch
- Manage company applications to participate in NKEA programs, coordinate actions and frameworks, monitor and report on the progress of implementation of projects in the aquaculture agriculture NKEA program.
- The main secretariat of the NKEA-related meetings namely the JTPKP NKEA aquaculture-agriculture, JK3P, JK2P and JK1P.
- Coordinate all matters pertaining to the Fisheries Department NKEA Program, including for the needs of DMO, MAFI/JKP, MAFI/PEMANDU and SC, MAFI Meetings.