FAQ    Semak Maklumbalas Aduan/Pertanyaan    Kemukakan Aduan/Pertanyaan   Laman Web Jabatan Perikanan


Category : General

Question: Where can I obtain posters of the types of marine fishes and river fishes (freshwater fish)?

Answer : Posters are available from the Communication Branch, Fisheries Management Division, Fisheries Headquarters in Putrajaya. Please contact Encik Fakharuddin (03-88704255) or Puan Fazidah (03-88704278).


Question: Import/Export Approval

Answer : The Fisheries Department grants approval or permission for import / export and movement of live fish only. Thus, the importation of biological samples of formalin preserved sea life with is not under the jurisdiction of the Department of Fisheries


Question: Fishing Activity License

Answer : In accordance with the Act and Regulation of the Department of Fisheries Malaysia, each vessel / boat used for fishing must be licensed. In your case, even for your own use they need to be licensed. But perhaps if you are not a genuine or full-time fisherman, no registration card and licence for fishing boats or outboard engines are released anymore. Therefore it is advisable that you obtain a licence from the Marine Department for recreational purposes. You also can go to the nearest District Fisheries Office / Marine Department for advice.


Question: Subsidy

Answer : Please note that the Department does not provide subsidies but does provide assistance in the form of input. In addition, the department also provides Aquaculture production motivation incentives. Small-scale and commercial farmers are also entitled to such incentives that are paid based on production. The small-scale freshwater fish  including catfish farmers and others are paid RM570 per tonne of fish produced. Payment will be made subject to the existing provisions. However, for more information you may contact the district or state fisheries office or contact Puan Roslina  from the Fisheries Department Headquarters via line 0388704762


Question: Incubator

Answer : There are 2 types of incubator programmes in the Fisheries Department namely Processing Incubators Project (PIP) and Aquaculture Incubators. For Processing Incubator Programme, coordination is carried out by the Fisheries Extension Division. At the moment, there are 2 Processing Incubation Centres in operation, namely: PIP Seberang Takir, Terengganu and PIP Tok Bali, Kelantan. Both centres were appointed by the participants who produced fish fillets, crackers, fish balls and fish meat products. In terms of the offer and appointment, the the department via the State Fisheries Office will issue announcements through local newspapers or notices on The department notice board.


Question: Fish Price

Answer : The price of fish is determined by supply and demand. However, during festive seasons, caps the prices of certain fish for the benefit of consumers. Fisheries Development Authority of Malaysia is entrusted to handle the marketing of fish markets in Malaysia but not to set the price. Price is determined by the market.


Question: Boost of fishery resources factors

Answer : The National Fishing Industry is divided into two (2) sub-sectors that are capture fisheries and aquaculture. Capture Fisheries Sector is managed to ensure that fisheries resources are exploited in a sustainable and profitable manner. Limited fisheries resources factors do not allow the increase of number of vessels done with impunity. Based on the status of existing resources, only deep sea fishing still has the  potential for development. Other factors affecting the fishing industry is a lack of interest among locals to work on the deep sea fishing vessels, loss during / after harvest (post harvest losses), invasion of foreign fishing vessels, the use of equipment that is not resource friendly and downstream activities (processing) which have yet to be fully developed in our country. Aquaculture sub-sector has high potential to be developed in the country. Among the factors affecting the development of the aquaculture industry is a huge start-up capital, the difficulty of obtaining a suitable area and the threat of disease. The country is not left behind in terms of technology and the Department is always ready to help with the technical aspects. The seed shortage issue is due to lack of operators as the method / technique to produce seeds are readily available in our country. The two sub-sectors of fisheries that are capture fisheries and aquaculture also face problems in terms of lack of local workers, the need to comply with international standards, competition and the need to produce quality products safe for consumption and cheaper than imports.


Question: Sheduled Fish Species

Answer : According to the CITES Act 2008 (Act 626), Section 10, and 12, it is an offense if a scheduled fish species (Appendix 2) in Table 3 – Scheduled Species is possessed without a permit. However, for fish that have been preserved or acquired before this, the Department will implement the registration process for the purposes of a fish authorisation soon. Therefore, your cooperation is requested to provide details of the ownership to our knowledge in order to facilitate the registration process soon. Owner's name: Address: Tel. No.: Number of fish owned: Date on acquiring scheduled fish.


Question: Fisheries Distribution Data

Answer : Fisheries Department releases its Annual Fisheries Statistics Book annually and it is possible that the information may be obtained from the Book. The book is available for sale at the Publication Unit of the Ministry of Agriculture and Agro-based Industry, Precinct 4, Putrajaya for only RM10. The book can also be downloaded from the statistics page of the Fisheries Department Website,


Question: How to import the Flowerhorn fish from Vietnam? What is the necessary procedure?

Answer : Fisheries Department has made an amendment to the regulations; the flowerhorn fish Genus Cichlasoma is included in the list of live fish prohibited from import. This prohibition is according to the Fisheries Regulations (Prohibited Imports, Etc.., For Live Fish) 1990 * Amendment in 2011, the Fisheries Act 1985. This prohibition was gazetted on 10 March 2011. For more information can contact En. Nummeran b. Mohd Nordin Tel. No. 03-8870 4000 ext 4670 Email:


Question: King Crab / Stone Crab Import

Answer : For stone crabs import activities, the Fisheries Department has no objection for you to carry out these activities. For your information, you must be registered with the Department of Fisheries. Registration forms and procedures can be obtained from the Kedah Fisheries Biosecurity Unit at Bukit Kayu Hitam. You may call Pn. Ikhwaty Ibrahim or En. Muhd. Mutalib Sapiee at line 04-92227856. After registration, you are required to apply for a import / export licence for fish / crab / prawn from Fisheries Development Authority of Malaysia (LKIM) and should also obtain an import permit, you must be registered with MAQIS. MAQIS offices and LKIM offices are also available in Bukit Kayu Hitam.


Question: Training / Practical

Answer : The department has no objection for you to do your training / practical in this Department. In relation to the field of work, you are advised to contact or make a written request directly to Perlis State Fisheries Office on the matter. For any further questions you can contact the Perlis State Fisheries Office or Human Resource Development, Fisheries Headquarters, Putrajaya. Thank you


Question: Cockle Import

Answer : Thank you for contacting the Department of Fisheries. For your information, if the cockles are to be exported are alive, it must be adult and sized not less than 25mm. The following conditions must be satisfied before the export of cockles can be done: 1. Exporters are required to register with the Department of Fisheries Malaysia 2. Exporters are required to register with MAQIS to obtain MAQIS export permits.  3. Exporters are required to apply for an export licence Alive Fish / Cockles from the Fisheries Development Authority of Malaysia (LKIM). 4. Exporters are required to obtain information on the needs analysis prescribed by the importing country. Before cockles can be exported, it needs to be accompanied by health certificates obtained from state Fisheries Biosecurity Unit at the exit and the application must be made 3 days prior to the cockles date of export. Health certificate will be issued based on the needs analysis of the importing country. Thank you.


Question: Fish Farm Registration

Answer : For your information, for the purpose of application to register a farm under CITES, a proposition paper (proposal) on your farm should be prepared and forwarded to the Department of Fisheries Malaysia. The Department will then make a review of the proposal before the audit based on the checklist and conditions set by the Geneva CITES Secretariat. The completed proposal will then be sent to the CITES Secretariat in Geneva to be reviewed and approved. For more information about proposal preparation and others, you can contact Puan Norashikin bt Daliyana at line 03-88704682 or email to the following email address Thank you. Mazniza bt Othman Fisheries Officer Fisheries Biosecurity Division Headquarters, Department of Fisheries Malaysia. 03-88704673


Question: Import procedure for live coral and marine fish from abroad (eg Australia /America) for personal use (non-commercial)

Answer : Obtain CITES certificate for live coral from country of origin which it is imported from and submit application to obtain CITES permit from Malaysian Fisheries Department. CITES permit from country of export shall be forwarded to the Department for CITES Import Permit application. CITES Import Permit application form can be obtained from the Department of Fishery Malaysia website at


Question: Import procedure for live coral and marine fish from abroad (eg Australia /America) for personal use (non-commercial)

Answer : Obtain CITES certificate for live coral from country of origin which it is imported from and submit application to obtain CITES permit from Malaysian Fisheries Department. CITES permit from country of export shall be forwarded to the Department for CITES Import Permit application. CITES Import Permit application form can be obtained from the Department of Fishery Malaysia website at